Tuesday, November 27, 2012

It's Good News

Today has been a much anticipated day. After all of the paperwork, meetings, dossier preparation, prayers, travel, etc., the court day finally arrived. I told several folks today that I felt like I was getting ready for our wedding. I got a haircut from my personal hair dresser who happened to travel with me (Helen); I showered and shaved; I even ironed my non-iron shirt. I had some butterflies in my stomach, most of which were good.

To be honest, I told Helen that a part of me was still concerned that Artur would not show up today. I know he has grown to love us over the past few weeks. I know he enjoys being with us. But to get in the car with his Director and head to court to see a judge? That’s an intimidating environment. And I could not help but think about when we first met Artur and he said, “No.” Helen did not seem to have these worries. That gave me some peace.

I read Proverbs 27 this morning. The first verse says, “Don’t boast about tomorrow, for you don’t know what a day might bring.” I said, “Oh boy” to myself. What will today bring? I should have dwelt on the fact that today is a day that the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it. The Lord is gracious and his mercies are new each day.

Our facilitator had a taxi pick us up at 1:20 from our apartment to head to the court building. The weather today in Odessa was absolutely beautiful. The sun shined brightly and the temperature was very pleasant. The drive was uneventful which was good (i.e. the kids did not lose it).

We arrived around 1:45. As we were stepping out of the car, Artur stepped out of his taxi with his Director and a friend who was being adopted. I can’t describe the relief that I felt. We hugged him quickly. His smile set me at ease. He was wearing some newer pants, a sweater and shiny black shoes. The boy looked handsome I must say.

We headed into the building and waited with the other family to be called back to see the judge. Taylor and Molly pretty much entertained themselves as we waited. Helen came loaded with goodies to combat any and all fusses. Let’s just say our parenting rules and convictions were compromised greatly today. Just a cute smile (or a slight fuss) would get them a sucker.

We were called back around 2:45 with Artur, the Director, prosecuting attorney, and two witnesses. We entered a large office/conference room to begin the court process. The judge was in full control. We got down to business. Our facilitator translating everything he was saying, even if she did not understand the legal words he was using. We were all asked to stand and state our names for the record which we did (thankfully correctly).

I was then asked to stand and answer some questions. He asked about my occupation, our children, why we wanted to adopt, and a few other general questions. Helen was then asked to stand and answer questions. He asked her more about our home and plans for educating Artur. She did great, of course. The Director and Prosecuting Attorney then gave their recommendations that Artur should be adopted into our family. The judge then asked Artur to stand. The judge smiled and asked him if he wanted to be adopted. He said, “Dah” (yes in Russian). He then asked if he liked us. He said, “Yes, very much.” How could we not smile at those answers?!

Soon after, we were asked to leave the court room as the judge made his decision. Less than five minutes passed before we were asked to return to the room. All attendees were standing as we entered. The judge ruled in our favor and accepted the following petitions we made: 1) that Artur would be adopted into our family 2) that his name be changed to Artur James Marshall and 3) that his birth certificate be changed to have Helen and me as his parents. The judge then charged us to help Artur keep his Russian language, to help him remember Ukraine, and to help him value more than just material possessions. We nodded our heads in agreement then exited the room.

We were greeted with smiling faces from our friends as we entered the waiting area. Artur was grinning ear to ear just as we were. I tell you it was an amazing blessing to experience what we had just experienced. Everything seemed so natural. This could only be from God.

I’m sure you are wondering how Taylor and Molly did in court. Well, God was faithful in answering your prayers! Thank you! They could not have been better. Those two kids can make anyone smile.

Soon after, the other adoptive family started their court process. After about 25-30 minutes, they received the same favorable ruling. We were all very thankful.

Before we departed, the Director gave us hugs and said we could take the kids out until 7 p.m. We hoped this would be the case. We gathered outside for some pictures (soon to be posted) then waited on our taxi.

We decided to head downtown and celebrate where? You guessed it…McDonald’s! The kids quickly decided that McDonald’s was the place for a time such as this. Turns out today was the other child’s birthday, so she was going to have an even bigger celebration.

We got in line then made our orders. I tell you I have not had a Big Mac in probably 8 years, but I was due for one today. I ordered it with pride and still have no regrets. (I’ll let you know where I stand on this item in the morning). Artur quickly decided he wanted the McChicken with bacon, large fries and a coke. We ordered Happy Meals for the kids. Helen ordered a McChicken Sandwich. We then headed upstairs with our food to find a table large enough for the whole crew. Thankfully, we found the perfect place. We said a blessing then ate our tasty McFood.

Artur was devouring his McChicken with Bacon. With a mouthful and a half-eaten McChicken, he said, “Scott, please, a Big Mac.” I said, “Artur, finish your McChicken then we’ll see about a Big Mac.” Helen encouraged me to go ahead and get the boy a Big Mac, so I did. Of course, I was skeptical that he would even touch the Big Mac after he ate the other half of the McChicken.Well….

I returned with the Big Mac, greeted by a scarfed-down McChicken and the remnants of a few fries. Artur smiled then got to work on the Big Mac….then a chunk of Molly’s cheeseburger…then Molly’s fries…then his friend’s McChicken wrap. I tell you we were shocked! The boy can eat! I also saw the line item in our monthly budget for food double before my eyes.

After dinner, we took some more pictures outside then needed to head back to the orphanage. Helen took the kids back to the hotel, so I rode with Artur, the other child, and the new father. As we walked to the car, I could not help but marvel at how God had orchestrated this journey, beginning with our hearts last year.

You know parts of Scripture can be confusing, even to the most educated of people. But there is one trait of God that is certain and to my knowledge has never been debated – that trait being that our God has a heart for the fatherless. From the Old Testament through the New Testament, God’s passion and heart for the fatherless is clearly seen.

When God started stirring our hearts last year to expand our family through adoption, we had no idea where He would lead us. We certainly did not think He would lead us to Ukraine. And we certainly did not think He would lead us to adopt an older child being that we have young children. But on the other hand, I’m not sure what we thought. We have just been trying to be obedient daily to the work the Lord has for us.

The daily devotion that a family member prepared for our trip has been such a blessing. Today’s devotion/quote was no exception:

“The call of God only becomes clear as we obey, never as we weigh the pros and cons and try to reason it out. The call is God’s idea, not our idea, and only in looking back over the path of obedience do we realize what God’s idea has been all along.” – Oswald Chambers

Please rejoice to the Lord with us with the addition of Artur James Marshall to our family. This prayer of Thanksgiving, brought to mind by another dear family member, is found in 1 Chronicles 16:8-36:

Oh give thanks to the LORD; call upon his name;
make known his deeds among the peoples!
Sing to him, sing praises to him;
tell of all his wondrous works!
Glory in his holy name;
let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice!

Seek the LORD and his strength;
seek his presence continually!
Remember the wondrous works that he has done,
his miracles and the judgments he uttered,
O offspring of Israel his servant,
children of Jacob, his chosen ones!

He is the LORD our God;
his judgments are in all the earth.
Remember his covenant forever,
the word that he commanded, for a thousand generations,
the covenant that he made with Abraham,
his sworn promise to Isaac,
which he confirmed to Jacob as a statute,
to Israel as an everlasting covenant,
saying, “To you I will give the land of Canaan,
as your portion for an inheritance.”

When you were few in number,
of little account, and sojourners in it,
wandering from nation to nation,
from one kingdom to another people,
he allowed no one to oppress them;
he rebuked kings on their account,
saying, “Touch not my anointed ones,
do my prophets no harm!”

Sing to the LORD, all the earth!
Tell of his salvation from day to day.
Declare his glory among the nations,
his marvelous works among all the peoples!
For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised,
and he is to be feared above all gods.
For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols,
but the LORD made the heavens.

Splendor and majesty are before him;
strength and joy are in his place.
Ascribe to the LORD, O families of the peoples,
ascribe to the LORD glory and strength!
Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name;
bring an offering and come before him!
Worship the LORD in the splendor of holiness;
tremble before him, all the earth;
yes, the world is established; it shall never be moved.

Let the heavens be glad, and let the earth rejoice,
and let them say among the nations, “The LORD reigns!”
Let the sea roar, and all that fills it;
let the field exult, and everything in it!
Then shall the trees of the forest sing for joy
before the LORD, for he comes to judge the earth.

Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
for his steadfast love endures forever!
Say also:
“Save us, O God of our salvation,
and gather and deliver us from among the nations,
that we may give thanks to your holy name
and glory in your praise.

Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel,
from everlasting to everlasting!”

Then all the people said, “Amen!” and praised the LORD.



13 comments:

Grace G said...

Thanks for the update! Mason and I have been praying for court and are excited that everything went well. I love the new family photo! We can't wait to meet Artur soon! :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! Congrats!! Love the Callens

Anonymous said...

"YAYYYYYY!" -said everyone

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Congratulations!! God is so good :) what an amazing testimony! Love, the rankins

Leslie said...

Praise the Lord! So excited for you guys! Literally have tears of joy as I think about the journey God has taken you through in less than a year to bring you to this very moment. The Deans can't wait to meet Artur!

Anonymous said...

So very exciting! Praise our Father, the Lord God!! Looking forward to meeting our new nephew! Love from Bob and Linda Pillow

Anonymous said...

So happy for y'all!! Congratulations!
Love, The Beavers

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!!! Can't wait to meet him! Love, the Pennys

Unknown said...

Soooooooo Awesome!!! Praise God!!!

Anonymous said...

Helen and Scott, Your family looks great! So happy for all of you! ;) Hannah Quetier (McIntyre)

Guitta said...

Praise Him from whom all blessings flow!!!

Anonymous said...

We are so happy for your growing family. Can't wait to meet Artur. Enjoyed reading about your journey.
Love, Jim and LaDonna

Emily Ferris said...

Praise the Lord!!!