Taylor awoke this morning early, ready to seize the day. That meant we all arose with him. It’s interesting and fun watching an almost 4 year old wake up with a fresh start and no worries (unless his sister puts her finger in his ear which does happen). We got dressed and headed down for breakfast.
Today was the day that Taylor and Molly would hopefully meet Artur. We have written about how much Taylor has been a part of our decision to pursue Artur for adoption. Knowing that he was going to finally meet Artur drove him to get ready quickly and move at a faster pace. Watching Taylor prepare to go and reflecting on yesterday’s events left me wrestling with thoughts and emotions. We have been telling Taylor that Artur did have to choose to go home with us, but I don’t think for a second he thought Artur would say no. Why would he?
Yesterday ended with some disbelief…Disbelief that Artur made up his mind the day before he even met us…Disbelief in that Artur did not even give us a chance…Disbelief that we had traveled so far to meet a child we had grown to love only to be told “no.” Well, I say disbelief. To be honest we were skeptical heading into yesterday that Artur would say yes immediately. We just didn’t expect him to not want to give us a chance. As we wrote yesterday, the orphanage director, local officer, and our facilitator pleaded with him to not make such a quick, permanent decision. He agreed.
I went to bed last night and arose this morning convinced that the only reason Artur agreed to meet with us again today was to get the heck out of the room so he could go about his business. Then, he would just not show to meet us today and that would be another way to give us “no” as an answer. Those were my feelings…not Helen’s.
Helen was convinced that the sweet little boy that we had grown to love was still there. She said she even saw him yesterday is spite of his demeanor. She kept reflecting on pictures and videos of him that we both adored. I could not understand how she could still feel this way. I honestly thought, “Were you there yesterday, Helen? He said no and I saw no signs of him changing his mind.” But Helen expected the Artur we knew to show up today. And he did.
We were escorted to an orphanage playroom reserved exclusively for visitors. Not one minute after we entered, in came Artur….smiling. He shook my hand, accepted Helen’s hug, and then headed to sit down with us on the couch. Artur had the presence of Lightning McQueen (Cars) for Taylor. Taylor was plain giddy. He just looked up at him, smiled, and was thrilled to finally meet him.
I was shocked. Once he sat down, he began talking…and talking…and talking. We learned a lot about him even in those brief minutes on the couch. He actually opened up some about personal items. Again, I could not believe it. Soon after Taylor yelled the words, “I gotta go Potty, Daddy!” All you parents know that means find a potty instantly. Artur quickly sat up and escorted us to the bathroom. We chatted along the way. He actually knows a fair amount of English which was impressive.
On our way back I pulled out my handy iphone (of which I am now a believer). I had downloaded some Russian phrases on a free translator app. I click on the phrase, “Do you want to play a game?” Artur nodded as we entered the room. I noticed a ping pong table folded and tucked away. Artur helped me assemble the table and the games began. He was very focused in playing and was enjoying our time. Of course Taylor wanted to play which he did (Taylor hit some great shots I might add). Artur made sure that Taylor got his fair share of swinging the paddle which was good to see.
After ping pong we played Go Fish and Memory. All of us played, including a friend of Artur’s who lived in the orphanage as well. We had some great laughs and played several rounds. After cards we watched as Artur found other ways to entertain us and him. He found a small fishing net and called Taylor over. He gave a ping pong ball to Taylor and said, “Shoot it, Taylor. Eh,Basketball!” Taylor of course loved that invitation. We watched them play and enjoy themselves. Molly in the meantime tried on everyone, and I mean everyone’s, shoes. She traveled the room and enjoyed the attention she received as the shoes and boots engulfed her body. She was precious and a good sport the entire time. Our facilitator and Helen read her several books as well.
After two hours, we decided that we needed to head back for naps. Our facilitator told Artur that we were leaving and he said he would escort us out. We asked him if he’d like for us to come visit tomorrow. He said yes.
As we exited the orphanage building I tried to hold Molly’s (aka Miss Independence’s) hand to help her down the steps. She had no part of that. 0nce down the steps, she made her way with us off to the side. Artur slowly approached her to hold her hand. She looked up briefly then accepted his invitation. I was behind and able to watch the scene develop. I was speechless but thinking, “She won’t hold my hand but will hold Artur’s hand?” I just grinned to myself.
Our cab was waiting and we loaded the car. Artur initiated our handshake then Helen gave him a hug which he gladly received. We said our goodbyes then headed off.
As you the reader have questions, we have questions: What just happened today? And what happened yesterday? How could he say no yesterday before he even met us, especially when we know that he has wanted a family for some time now? The questions keep coming. But here is where we are.
We just got off an extended phone conversation with a good friend who has walked before us. We treasure his family’s insight. As we shared with him the details of yesterday and today, he listened, probed, then gave us his thoughts.
We were reminded as to why we are here. God has called us here, and He is not surprised by the events of the last two days. He knew this was going to be a battle. And I was reminded as when we were called to pursue Artur that the battle is His, not ours. We are called to be obedient to Him and follow his call. We are to pray for wisdom, discernment, and guidance. We are to “draw near to Him and He will draw near to us…Seek the Lord while He may be found; call to Him while He is near…For My thoughts are not your thoughts, and your ways are not My ways. This is the Lord’s declaration. For as heaven is higher than earth, so My ways are higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts….so My word that comes from My mouth will not return to Me empty, but it will accomplish what I please, and will prosper in what I send it [to do].”
Do I believe those words? Scott, Helen, and you the reader: Do we believe these words? Do we believe that God will accomplish what he pleases and will prosper in what He sends us to do? Do we truly believe that though we may fall, He will not let us be overwhelmed, because He, the Lord, holds our hand?
If we do, then we must not lose heart because “we have such a large cloud of witnesses surrounding us. Let us lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily ensnares us, and run with endurance the race that lies before us, keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that lay before Him endured a cross and despised the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of God’s throne. For consider him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, so that you won’t grow weary and lose heart. “
So where does that leave us? We don’t know what tomorrow brings. Although by personality and trade I plan each and every day in 5-10 minute increments (close friends can attest to this…no laughing), I have no idea what tomorrow brings. Will tomorrow bring a child whose heart has been softened and opened to adoption, or a hardened heart? We don’t know.
But we know this - After prayers, seeking God’s Word, and many conversations with Helen, family and close friends, we will put on the armor of God and continue battle for Artur’s heart, ultimately resting in this being the Lord’s battle, not ours.
I most likely will not get satisfactory answers to the many questions that I now have for Artur. But that is life. And that is faith. For “faith is the reality of what is hoped for, the proof of what is not seen. For by it our ancestors were approved. By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen has been made from things that are not visible….By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac; he who had received the promises was offering up his unique son, about whom it had been said, In Isaac your seed will be called. He considered God to be able even to raise someone from the dead…”
“By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed and went out to a place he was going to receive as an inheritance; he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he stayed as a foreigner in the land of promise, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, co-heirs of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose architect and builder is God.”
We are certainly no Abraham, but Abraham was certainly no Jesus. We have Jesus. He is King. He still rules. He still reigns. Please continue to journey with us and pray as God’s will is done. To Him be all glory, honor, and praise.
The Marshalls
5 comments:
This brings tears to my eyes. I've been checking all day to find out about how everything went at your meeting today. So happy for you. Many prayers answered. We will continue to pray for your family and for Artur. Love you guys!
Scott and Helen,
What a journey y'all are on! Thanks for updating. I am encouraged by your faith and perseverance. Praying for more , and for Artur's heart and decision. Love to all...hugs to Taylor and Molly from our kids!
Love y'all! Laura Kate
Oh, ME of little faith! It makes sense that God would need a little time to speak to Artur's heart and give him peace about what would naturally be a very scary decision for anyone, especially a 13 year old. It's hard for us to see it that way. After all, who wouldn't want to be a part of a family such as yours? I truly believe that God spoke to Artur Friday night. We just have to be patient and give Artur time to recognize God's spirit. Wherever Artur lives the remainder of his earthly life, we all want him to live it having a relationship with God, and knowing that he is loved. I believe you, the Marshall family, in your obedience, have already been directly responsible for that. You will never know how many lives this experience has touched! I am truly gratefully that I have the privilege of knowing you through MFP! My prayers are with you.
Amy
Just wanted to encourage you guys that we prayed for you this morning in Sunday school after Christina filled us in on the update from your blog. I came home & read it immediately, having not had the chance to read the last two days (which have been very eventful!). Clearly God is working in Artur's heart! I couldn't help but think after reading both Friday & Saturday's blog that he sounds a bit like a typical teenager, too. Aloof at first, not wanting to give in to something that's not his idea, but after sleeping on it, being a bit more open. We're all praying that openness continues!
Post a Comment