"If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind." James 1:5-6.
I have been on a deep sea fishing boat years ago. I do remember getting a little bit sea sick but nothing terrible. But now along this adoption journey, I can really relate to this scripture in James. Scott and I felt lead to adopt through so many circumstances and scriptures and prayers, and then I doubted. Scott remained steady, but I felt totally undone.
At the beginning of this process when we were considering adopting an older child, praying for wisdom became our focal prayer. These older children in Ukraine were clearly laid in our path, God gave eyes to notice, and we were moved to do something by the grace of God. And once we began to face opposition, oh I doubted. And I felt my heart and stomach churning like a tumbling wave. I was a seasick, helpless, desperate, beckoning, unstable wave and I needed God to give me peace and confidence in His plans for our family. Not only was I asking myself questions, but others were asking too. Is this really God calling us to this or is it my imagination? Is this crazy, foolish, too difficult, not smart? What about Taylor and Molly? Is this what is best for Artour? How will I teach him English and get him caught up in school? How will this change our social network? Who do we know with 13 year olds? What time would he go to bed? and on and on questions toiling in my head.
After a while, some of these questions were answered, but God gave me the reassurance I needed so badly. He didn't inscribe Artour's name on my forehead, so that then I could be sure, but God eased my anxiety and doubt through specific passages in his Bible and through music. I'm not going to list them all nor all the words, but here are some that have impacted us.
"God is Able" God is able, my God is able - God is able, yes God is able. Able, my god is able - God is able, yes God is able.
Psalm 127 - Unless the Lord builds the house, those who build it labor in vain.... It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest, eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Psalm 68:5 "Father of the fatherless and protector of widows is God in his holy habitation."
Deuteronomy 10:18 "For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great, the mighty, and the awesome God, who is not partial and takes no bribe. He executes justice for the fatherless and the widow, and loves the sojourner, giving him food and clothing."
Isaiah 55 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it. 'For you shall go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall break forth into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands."
Psalm 142 With my voice I cry out to the Lord; with my voice I plead for mercy to the Lord. I pour out my complaint before him, I tell him my trouble before him. When my spirit faints within me, You know my way!
"Give Me Your Eyes" - Brandon Heath All those people going somewhere Why have I never cared? Give me Your eyes for just one second Give me Your eyes so I can see Everything that I keep missing Give me Your love for humanity Give me Your arms for the broken-hearted The ones that are far beyond my reach Give me Your heart for the ones forgotten Give me Your eyes so I can see
Luke 7:13 "And when the Lord saw her(widow of Nain), he had compassion on her and said to her, 'Do not weep.'" Jesus saw, had compassion, and acted. This sequence is seen repeatedly in Jesus.
"The Battle Is The Lord's" There's no pain Jesus can't feel No hurt He cannot heal All things work according to His perfect will No matter what you're going through, remember God is using you For the battle is not yours, it's the Lord's.
God cares for orphans, both literal and spiritual. He cares for the literal orphan, a child without parents, without someone to give them a highfive, without hope. And for the spiritual orphan, a person without God the Father. If we trust in Jesus, we are considered God's sons and daughters. Praise be to His great name.
2 comments:
I can't tell you how moved I am by your adoption journey...I am so proud to know you both! :-) So glad you emailed everyone today with an update!
It was a real joy to read about the Lord's leading in your adoption process. It is inspiring to see God so clearly at work in the lives of his people. I am praying for your family as I type, and I look forward to hearing how the Lord sees this through. God bless you!
-Anna Segrest
Post a Comment